This post is a continuation of another recent post (HERE), which critiques a recent attack on the internet of priests at the moment of consecration, saying that this is a sodomy event for priests. While that might sound like an error, and it is, this person has a following of serious minded Catholics. Why is that?
A real rebellion against the Catholic Church by those claiming to be Catholic began to be manifested in the extreme in 1968. Tens of thousands of priests and religious departed. Many of those who remained in North America taught little more than being “nice”, while many in South America, similarly encouraged people to be marxist revolutionaries of “liberation” theology. There was much self-congratulation all around, a dark time indeed.
Devout Catholics wanted the truth in all charity, but devotions were stripped away by so very many of the priests who remained, and abuses of all kinds and on so many levels became the “normal” fare of the day, that is, as promoted by those deviating from Catholic doctrine and morality.
There were, of course, shining examples of those staying the course, such as Monsignor Richard J. Schuler of Saint Agnes Church in Saint Paul, Minnesota. But there was quite the spiritual vacuum that was crying to be filled.
What to do? People were desperate and tried to fill that spiritual void with anything they could find which looked even remotely Catholic.
- Some ran after false “visions” of “our Lady”, such as the always condemned Bayside “apparitions”, condemned by the local bishops and by the Holy See. I remember one devotee of Bayside, the sister of the parish priest and housekeeper at the rectory, who, when I was quietly reading the newspaper, charged me out of the blue with a butcher knife, three times, terribly upset, saying that I shouldn’t have the face of an angel (really, I don’t!) when I don’t believe in Bayside (and I don’t). I survived just by sitting there calmly. It seems that my guardian angel literally grabbed her arm and stopped her. Yikes!
- Some ran after those who shook their fists at the Church as the Church, not being able to distinguish between some members of the Church and the Church herself. They were rightly upset with abuses of all sorts, but blamed the Church. They followed those with more madly shaking fists than themselves. Too bad, that.
- Some ran after distraction, glutting themselves with pornography, couch potatoizing television, anything but religion, beyond following even those shaking their fists at the Church, so heart-stricken were they. And yet, they allowed themselves to be mowed down in this way, a kind of suicide which proclaims “I’ll show you!” and then, as an act of vengeance, takes one’s own life in an effort to show others just how far they think they’ve been let down. Lots of spiritual suicide.
You get the idea. One can fall into the ditch on the left or on the right. But it’s all about self-righteousness: “I’m right because everybody’s a marxist homosexualist infiltrator but me.”
This is the classic “Reformation” diatribe: “If one member of the Church is wrong, the very Church herself is wrong, and I’m my own church from now on.”
Supporting such people does grave harm to souls and to the Church. But, how then, to fill the void? Not in any particular order and not a complete list by any means:
- Firstly, we are to look to Jesus, not to ourselves. Jesus chose Judas, also to let us know how it would be. Stand in awe of Jesus instead of cringing.
- Secondly, be in humble thanksgiving before Jesus, who calls us to be with Him on the cross, not to run away from it. He stayed to be crucified. He didn’t run away and then start shrieking: “Neyah neyah neyah neyah neyah!”
- Thirdly, love your Mother, Holy Mother Church, and distinguish between some of those who claim membership in the Church and the Church herself.
- Fourthly, pray, and make use of devotions. You can do this even if some others don’t. Your good example and prayers are part of the New Evangelization.
- Fifthly, stop supporting and reading such trash. You know the old saying: “Trash in, trash out.” Don’t become trash.
- Sixthly, be an active member of this Chuch Militant. Don’t let trash talkers have the day. Be part of the New Evangelization by being the best Catholic you can be. Catechize. Get the message out. All truth in all Charity amidst even a hell of rebellion, but a rebellion which does not bring an end to Christ Jesus or His Church.
- Seventhly, examine your conscience on all the spiritual and corporal works of mercy. Make the faith attractive. Make converts to Christ, not to trash talking. It’s all about Jesus, not about us.
- Eighthly, go to Confession, frequently. I do. Because it’s all about Jesus, not about us.
- Ninthly, having done that, encourage vocations to the priesthood, and then… and then… encourage vocations to the priesthood. After that… encourage vocations to the priesthood.
- I’m sure you can add to the list, for instance, by encouraging all priests in the most respectful manner to Say the Black and Do the Red….
P.S. Pope Benedict XVI, the Supreme Pontiff, Bishop of Rome and Successor of Peter, Vicar of Christ, our Holy Father, is NOT a marxist homosexualist infiltrator. Really, he’s not. And… and…
God will not be mocked
Update: After the continue reading button, you will find the contents of the priestly celibacy series. It seems that I am accused of not knowing anything about the nuptial meaning of the Mass. Especially helpful in this series regarding the nuptial meaning of the Mass are numbers 6 & 7, on Eunuchs!
Ferocious HSH Series on Priestly Celibacy
- The Biblical Foundation of Priestly Celibacy by Father Ignace de la Potterie, S.J. This is one of the more visited posts of the blog. Father Ignace was a good friend. A confidant. I used this in a course on priestly celibacy that I gave at the Pontifical College Josephinum. I was very pleased that so many of the seminarians were extremely well read, and were, indeed, on the cutting edge of research involving Scripture, Canon Law, Patristics, Church History, Ecumenical Relations, particularly with the Orthodox, the prudence in regard to Anglicanorum Coetibus, the for the moment the ignoring of matters regarding the permanent diaconate, etc. Some were planning on doing doctoral theses on the subject. All were 1000% in favor of strict priestly (and diaconal!) celibacy. My heart rejoiced each class. People, you have to know that we have very, very excellent priests coming up. Some of those I’m talking about were just ordained in the last couple of weeks. (Spring of 2012). Also know — Yikes! — that is is because of this very article (among some others), that Father de la Potterie was so very bitterly hated by some few, who could not provide an answer to what he said, so well did he say it.
- Continence — C.W. fanatics will not like the reference to JPII in this very short post. Oh well. The definition of continence might surprise quite a few readers. The definition of terms is important! and enthralling! I wrote these notes up for a course given to the seminarians of the Good Shephard Seminary of the Archdiocese of Sydney. The Rector at the time wanted me to innoculate the seminarians from the heresy that they would be getting in their classes at a certain Catholic institute where they were attending lectures at the time. Yikes!
- Chastity — Another brief, important article with an in your face, perhaps rather unexpected definition. Knowing the definitions introduces us also to the spiritual life, as to why chastity is a gift of grace, bringing us into friendship with the Lord.
- Celibacy — Another in your face, perhaps unexpected definition that we need to know. This and other terms are bandied about with few knowing what they are saying. Bonus: a video of the great Irish singer, John McCormack, in reference to the priest who addressed Pope JPII during, I think it was, his first trip to the U.S.A. Hah!
- Virginity — Another in your face, perhaps unespected definition that we need to know. I’ve added a rant on the perpetual virginity of the Blessed Mother of God, and also commented on topics such as consecrated virgins, rape, “spiritual virginity”, etc.
- Eunuch – Part I — This is, in my opinion super important commentary. I always get the remark from seminarians and priests that they’ve never seen anything like this before. Indeed, I haven’t seen this anywhere else. This is all about the depth of Christ’s love for His Immaculate Bride, the Church. That charity, in which we participate, is awesome indeed. You are dead wrong if you think you already know what a eunuch is. Dead. Wrong. Behold, something truly awesome about the love of God for us.
- Eunuch – Part II — A necessary follow-up and continuation of Part I, with lots of scriptural references in both Old and New Testaments. You’ll never think of these passages in the same way. This is so important for priests to understand what they are doing as priests, especially when they offer the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass and absolve sin and such. Priests are married to the Church by the Sacrifice they offer! Priests must know this or they will find themselves in touble. In knowing just how they are married to the Church, they will rejoice. It is just this which will bring much healing to the priesthood.
- LUST & angels — This is a refreshing anecdote from the life of Saint Jerome when he went further off into the desert to be a hermit. Instructive and bringing us right before Jesus. Totally cool.
- Repression idiocy — This is a rather severe critique of the hell of repression and doubled over concealed and especially for that reason very dangerous repression that was foisted upon seminarians for decades and is, I fear, still foisted upon them in some places. The kind of repression idiocy which I critique has been hailed as “Catholic” and “orthodox” by “conservative” Catholic seminaries and universities and colleges. It’s anything but that. If you want to risk going straight to hell, do up some of this kind of oppression. If you want to be on your way to heaven, be at ease with weakness, in all chasity, in all honesty, before Jesus, and He will show you the way to rejoicing in holy purity. It’s not about mind games. It’s about knowing the wholeness and holiness of our Lord and Savior.
- Wounded Healer idiocy — The Wounded Healer idiocy is perhaps one of the most evil dynamics there is. Ever hear of it? Know who wrote popularized it? This is the method of “nice” and “caring” psychology, but is really just a horrific projection of the “Wounded Healer.” This is a necessary read just because you will surely run across this kind of thing. Blech!
- Impure, lustful thoughts — This is very much a favorite post on HSH blog. I have very often also directed people to it. It seems it is very useful indeed.
- My experience with porn — This post generated by far the most heartfelt emails and comments on the blog. Porn is a huge problem in the USA and increasing around the world. This post speaks to that catastrophy. Yikes!
- AD CINGULUM! — This is from the series on the Vesting Prayers for priests for Holy Mass. However, I think all will be able to rejoice in what they read here, and will know more about the priesthood of Jesus among us, and what priestly celibacy is all about. Awesome!
There are many other posts I would like to add to this series. If you readers have any ideas, drop a comment in the comments box or send an email to holysoulshermitage using gmail dot com. Thanks!