Given that many readers of this blog follow by way of email and therefore do not see any updates made to particular posts (pity, that), such as the numerous updates to the previous two posts, I’m putting up this post recalling that there is a ferocious Holy Souls Hermitage Series on Priestly Celibacy on the sidebar of the blog. It seems that the instigator of my comments is unaware that I have said something about the nuptial aspect of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. She might be interested to read over this series, especially numbers 6 & 7, about Eunuchs.
Ferocious HSH Series on Priestly Celibacy
- The Biblical Foundation of Priestly Celibacy by Father Ignace de la Potterie, S.J. This is one of the more visited posts of the blog. Father Ignace was a good friend. A confidant. I used this in a course on priestly celibacy that I gave at the Pontifical College Josephinum. I was very pleased that so many of the seminarians were extremely well read, and were, indeed, on the cutting edge of research involving Scripture, Canon Law, Patristics, Church History, Ecumenical Relations, particularly with the Orthodox, the prudence in regard to Anglicanorum Coetibus, the for the moment the ignoring of matters regarding the permanent diaconate, etc. Some were planning on doing doctoral theses on the subject. All were 1000% in favor of strict priestly (and diaconal!) celibacy. My heart rejoiced each class. People, you have to know that we have very, very excellent priests coming up. Some of those I’m talking about were just ordained in the last couple of weeks. (Spring of 2012). Also know — Yikes! — that is is because of this very article (among some others), that Father de la Potterie was so very bitterly hated by some few, who could not provide an answer to what he said, so well did he say it.
- Continence — C.W. fanatics will not like the reference to JPII in this very short post. Oh well. The definition of continence might surprise quite a few readers. The definition of terms is important! and enthralling! I wrote these notes up for a course given to the seminarians of the Good Shephard Seminary of the Archdiocese of Sydney. The Rector at the time wanted me to innoculate the seminarians from the heresy that they would be getting in their classes at a certain Catholic institute where they were attending lectures at the time. Yikes!
- Chastity — Another brief, important article with an in your face, perhaps rather unexpected definition. Knowing the definitions introduces us also to the spiritual life, as to why chastity is a gift of grace, bringing us into friendship with the Lord.
- Celibacy — Another in your face, perhaps unexpected definition that we need to know. This and other terms are bandied about with few knowing what they are saying. Bonus: a video of the great Irish singer, John McCormack, in reference to the priest who addressed Pope JPII during, I think it was, his first trip to the U.S.A. Hah!
- Virginity — Another in your face, perhaps unespected definition that we need to know. I’ve added a rant on the perpetual virginity of the Blessed Mother of God, and also commented on topics such as consecrated virgins, rape, “spiritual virginity”, etc.
- Eunuch – Part I — This is, in my opinion super important commentary. I always get the remark from seminarians and priests that they’ve never seen anything like this before. Indeed, I haven’t seen this anywhere else. This is all about the depth of Christ’s love for His Immaculate Bride, the Church. That charity, in which we participate, is awesome indeed. You are dead wrong if you think you already know what a eunuch is. Dead. Wrong. Behold, something truly awesome about the love of God for us.
- Eunuch – Part II — A necessary follow-up and continuation of Part I, with lots of scriptural references in both Old and New Testaments. You’ll never think of these passages in the same way. This is so important for priests to understand what they are doing as priests, especially when they offer the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass and absolve sin and such. Priests are married to the Church by the Sacrifice they offer! Priests must know this or they will find themselves in touble. In knowing just how they are married to the Church, they will rejoice. It is just this which will bring much healing to the priesthood.
- LUST & angels — This is a refreshing anecdote from the life of Saint Jerome when he went further off into the desert to be a hermit. Instructive and bringing us right before Jesus. Totally cool.
- Repression idiocy — This is a rather severe critique of the hell of repression and doubled over concealed and especially for that reason very dangerous repression that was foisted upon seminarians for decades and is, I fear, still foisted upon them in some places. The kind of repression idiocy which I critique has been hailed as “Catholic” and “orthodox” by “conservative” Catholic seminaries and universities and colleges. It’s anything but that. If you want to risk going straight to hell, do up some of this kind of oppression. If you want to be on your way to heaven, be at ease with weakness, in all chasity, in all honesty, before Jesus, and He will show you the way to rejoicing in holy purity. It’s not about mind games. It’s about knowing the wholeness and holiness of our Lord and Savior.
- Wounded Healer idiocy — The Wounded Healer idiocy is perhaps one of the most evil dynamics there is. Ever hear of it? Know who wrote popularized it? This is the method of “nice” and “caring” psychology, but is really just a horrific projection of the “Wounded Healer.” This is a necessary read just because you will surely run across this kind of thing. Blech!
- Impure, lustful thoughts — This is very much a favorite post on HSH blog. I have very often also directed people to it. It seems it is very useful indeed.
- My experience with porn — This post generated by far the most heartfelt emails and comments on the blog. Porn is a huge problem in the USA and increasing around the world. This post speaks to that catastrophy. Yikes!
- AD CINGULUM! — This is from the series on the Vesting Prayers for priests for Holy Mass. However, I think all will be able to rejoice in what they read here, and will know more about the priesthood of Jesus among us, and what priestly celibacy is all about. Awesome!
There are many other posts I would like to add to this series. If you readers have any ideas, drop a comment in the comments box or send an email to holysoulshermitage using gmail dot com. Thanks!